Sunday, March 09, 2008

More dunken master stuff...

Jack Rossi's art show "Zui Quan Masters" was inspired by ; in the words of Ila Erickson, " inspired by his love for Asian cinema, graffiti roots..."
However, my contribution to the show was inspired by something far off the cognitive. Having done an illustration several months back, of an asian elephant holding a gourd and donning buddah beads, my drunken master was inspired by my new found love for a wonderful Belgian ale called Delirium Tremens. The label and logo consist of a blue background and a pink elephant. That was my inspiration for the illustration.
But the day that Jack called me to invite me to participate in his solo show,"Drunken Masters" and to serve as one of the mythological "Eight Immortals" patron guardians of alcohol in Chinese mythology, I was Delirious with excitement!!! I knew exactly what I was going to use for the breath of my part in the "Drunken Masters show".
The idea of pink, Asian elpephant posed in the many stances of the famous martial art seemed more and more intriguing as I sat at Luck Baldwin's in Pasadena California one night, during the 9th annual Belgian Beer festival. I just so happened to be drinking an amazing beer, that also features the pink elephant. Delirium Tremens. A beer whose namesake has left that very feeling in my heart and mind. I truly am having withdrawals from it's smooth and rich taste.

I would also like to thank Pickwick Liquors in Covina California, for providing the 5 pint and a half bottles of Delirium tremens that i purchased for the opening night of the show.
And a shout out to Joseph, who was working there the nights that I bought the beers that fueled my creativity.

A great debt of gratitude is owed to the Delirium Tremens brewery, also for inspiring me with their artful product.

And an even greater debt is owed to all my loved ones, friends and family who have supported me with my art, and to the wonderful people, Daniel and Sally of alphacult.com, the gallery that gave this wretch his first crack at the gallery scene.

And most of all, Jack Rossi, the man who had it in his heart, to call me and let me show some art in his solo show.
Jack Rossi, I thank you.


No comments: